Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life Stream


This is my Life Stream ~ I call the Headwaters "Knowledge"

I am now in my fifth semester of classes. In my first semester I only had two classes; "just to get my feet wet." I also took two classes during summer session. It was time to evaluate my goals, do an Academic appraisal of my courses and degrees and further research what the future held for my chosen career as a Librarian.
 
The Academic Pool I had dipped my feet in felt just fine, so I took the plunge; but not before consulting with a counselor. I told her of my desire to be a Librarian and my interest in Informatics, specifically Social Informatics. My counselor worked up an Articulation Worksheet for a Bachelor of Science in Informatics accompanied by an Articulation Worksheet for  what works out to be an Associates Degree in Public Administration. 


Time now to check out OOH. or the Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011 edition. The site tells you "the training and education needed, earnings, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job, [and] working conditions." Here I found valuable information on the expected growth of my career as a Librarian and eventually as a Digital Archivist. It is still early enough in my college career to adjust for changes. I would be foolish to invest all this time, money, study and effort only to find no employment options upon graduation.

My Motivation to Learn, Malcolm S. Knowles' sixth principle, envelopes both intrinsic value and personal payoff. Also applicable is principle four, Readiness to Learn as my want of education is life related.  Every class I take, every bit of information I readily absorb or conversely struggle to comprehend, contributes to my future and improves me as a human being. This is my intellectual sauna and mind spa. So, what are you waiting for? Come join me in the Academic Pool.






4 comments:

Kate Smedley said...

Thank you for the update, and the references, I also love the lao tzu quote...so true!

EZimmerman said...

Your snapshots are extremely helpful. The information you have provided on the requirements for becoming a librarian have saved me a lot of research time! I've had two prospective students ask me about those requirements recently and I had not gotten around to digging them up. Thanks for taking us along on the journey and being such an excellent tour guide!

That Dam Kat said...

I'm glad you like Snapshots Elaine. If you or anybody would like more information or would like to add this gadget to their site go here
http://www.snap.com/
(ironically this does not link; you have to copy/paste :)

JudyNV said...

I appreciated the OOH link too. Had been meaning to find it for my Google Docs presentation - so you saved me a bunch of time. But tell me this - what is it about OOH that is so dull? Thinking about a new career should be exciting. And where do they get those pictures? I swear some of them are from the 50s or at best the 70s.

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. May I quote you with attribution? If yes, comment away. Perpetual Andragogy Adventures of an Adult Learner is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Unported License.