Sunday, March 14, 2010

Building a Video Podcast Part 2

This is Part Two in the Series: How to Build a Video Podcast

In part one of this series I told you that I had looked all over for video podcasting software, and could only find the two standards; Vimeo and youtube. These will work for a quickie-cast, but I was looking for something a bit more professional.  Since that posting, I have done some research.  This book report/review is also an Assignment for my Dynamic Web Application Class. (Say hi to Professor Fightmaster when you sign up for this fabulous class! :)

I found some invaluable information in these two books; Absolute Beginners Guide to Podcasting by George Colombo & Curtis Franklin, Jr. and Podcasting and Blogging with GarageBand and iWeb by Robin Williams and John Tollett.

I chose these two books so that I could learn how to Video Podcast in two different platforms. I may use my Mac for home and school, but Windows is the norm for most workplaces. Let's start with the similarities.
  • Plan your podcast. What do you want to say? Who do you want to reach? How long will your podcast be? Will you be doing a series, perpetual, one time or intermittent podcast?
  • Research some other podcasts through iTunes. iTunes comes with a Mac and can also be downloaded free for Windows. 
  • The Steps:  Plan, Record, Edit & Mix (Groom), Publish, Promote.
Williams and Tollett gives an easy no-geek speak illustrated step by step on how to create your podcast in GarageBand and then incorporate it into your blog page in iWeb. Though this book is a mere 158 pages and it was published in 2006, the information is still relevant.
 

 Colombo and Franklin go into a little more depth. Section IV, Day to Day Issues You'll Face as Podcaster, Chapter 13 deals with Generating Income with your Podcast. In this chapter you will find the Four Basic Revenue Models; The Associate/Affiliate Model, Donations, The Sponsorship Model, and Distribution to Paid Subscribers. 
 
Something that both Podcasting and Blogging with Garage Band and iWeb and Absolute Beginner's Guide to Podcasting address is Bandwidth. With a mobilme subscription for $99 per year you get 20GB of combined email and file storage and 200GB of monthly data transfer.  Colombo and Franklin list  Libsyn, among others,  in their Resources for Podcasters, (p 212).

In GarageBand and iTunes the file format is automatically MP3. If you are using Audicity, as suggested by Colombo and Franklin to create your podcast, you will need an MP3 enocoder like winLame. The Appendices in this book are worth the price alone. Here you will find a list for each: Audio Software for Podcasters, Pod-catching (Aggregator) Software, Audio Equipment Manufacturers, Podcasting Directories, Online Resources for Podcasters, The Podcasting Community Online, and Web Hosting and RSS Feed Software and Services.


Yeah, but you said you were going to tell us how to build a Video Podcast. And so I will.

With a Mac all I need is a digital camera, iMovie and space on my iDisk. According to Williams and Tollett "A video podcast is basically a standard audio podcast with video added" (p 152). I create the video in iMovie and then send it to GarageBand. Colombo and Franklin suggest "Wrapping Your Podcast in a Good Website" (p194). Photos, slide-shows, and an accompanying video clip that you have uploaded to either youtube or Vimeo makes the visit more inviting.

OK, I'm off to create my first Video Podcast. I'll have it here for you in Part 3 of the Series: Building a Video Podcast.

Some Helpful Sites I Found

Public Domain Music 

How To Create a Podcast With Mixcraft 3

How to Podcast

My Podcasting Pipeline

3 comments:

Kate Smedley said...

You make it sound so easy andI'm sure it's not. I look forward to the results!

Karen said...

Good report, using a comparison of two books. I have taken alot of computer classes and made several websites using HTML & Javascript but I am new to podcasting. Is podcasting different from screencasting? Obviously I am new to screencasting as well. I look forward to seeing Part 3.

Jeanette Shaw said...

windows 10 iso 64bit crackk
drivermax pro registration key
final cut pro crack
windows 8 crack
spire vst crack
sparkbooth crack
hwidgen crack
lizardsystems wi-fi scanner crack
razer cortex game booster crack
vectric aspire crack

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. May I quote you with attribution? If yes, comment away. Perpetual Andragogy Adventures of an Adult Learner is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Unported License.