Friday, March 26, 2010

Connectivism and The Adult Learner


OK, raise your hand if you still can't program your VCR. I see a few of you out there, and I am one of them, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Technology is, and ever will be, growing, expanding and affecting our lives. Can any of us remember a time before ATM's, cell phones, automated gas pumps or home computers?

Exponential growth in technologies affects our education as well. My first time around at college, I used a typewriter (what's that? haha) to type my term papers. There was also this great big piece of furniture in the Library called Stacks or The Stacks that you would use to find your book. My home computer and the digital library reference that I now use is optimal. I couldn't imagine doing without either one.

The following video, The Networked Student, shows how we can all be learning now, and will all be learning in the future. The idea is presented for a 10th grade Psychology Student, but it applies to all students.



Connectivism is a Godsend for the Adult Learner only after having mastered the technologies. And how does one do that? Play with the programs/software and use the tutorials. Visit the discussion boards and ask questions. Don't be afraid of being a stupid ninny. There are undoubtedly others in the disussion forums who have the same or similar questions as you. 

Have you found a useful technology or program other than those mentioned in the video? If so, please leave them in the comments. We can all benefit from each others input and knowledge.

2 comments:

JudyNV said...

Kathleen!!! What a gift!! Marlevous. I love it. You had to be working non-stop over the break but what a result. Are you going to write a paper with the steps it took to grow your skin into this new look and publish it on our Angel Blog Discussion Forum so others can follow your lead when they get time? You can really be proud of this blog. Hope you keep it up for a long time. The video was a great find. Looks like something I should use to advertise this class.

That Dam Kat said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment :D I can't take all the credit though. Blogger has put out a new design template

Go to http://draft.blogger.com/ to log in to Blogger in Draft

I was able to tweak the color in and adjust the layout. I did design the masthead though. I will gladly put up the howto with screen shots in a bit. So glad you like it! :)

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. May I quote you with attribution? If yes, comment away. Perpetual Andragogy Adventures of an Adult Learner is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Unported License.