Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's Due When?


I looked around, what did I see? Time itself was escaping me.

"Are you managing your time wisely? If the work is spread out it is not excessive, but do not let it go until the night before it is due." Professor's words startled me. I smiled and flashed my computer camera a peace sign, you know, just in case she was watching. (kidding) Seriously though, it seems that lately I have been chasing my tail. Assignments pile up, reading, study, note taking, quizzes, tests, chores, errands, home, hearth, family and pets all want a piece of me, and they want it right NOW! 

Is this an Adult Learner specific problem? No, but how I choose to resolve my time management issues does reflect in Malcolm S. Knowles' Core Adult Learning Principles Principle three: Prior Experience of the Learner; Resource and Mental Models. I know what has worked for me before; I just forgot to keep up the good habit(s).


Eternal clock by Robert van deer Steeg

In my first post, I spoke of a wonderful class called College Success. This class dedicates an entire chapter to time. The Time Monitor/Time Plan is rather extensive and very involved. It also helps "transform time into a knowable and predictable resource (Ellis).

Everybody, no matter who they are or what their station in life, has only168 hours in each week. Take away eating, sleeping, travel time and other human necessities and there's not much left. Use this worksheet to see exactly where your time is going. Keep in mind that for every Undergraduate class hour taken, (or spent in class)  two to three hours of study is required if you wish to succeed.

As simplistic as it may sound, use a Calendar. Better yet, use Google Calendar and share it with your co-workers, friends and family. Even if your family lives under the same roof, seeing your schedule in black and white lets them know just how precious your time is. Who knows, you might even get lucky and a family member may volunteer to help out with an errand or two. It's worth a try. Bonus: Set Google Calendar to send alerts to your email or phone. 

Make a To Do List. Adapt the list to your style. Do you like to make a weekly or daily list? Perhaps you even like long term planning. Whichever you choose, keep these strategies in mind: Rate each task by priority. Cross off your tasks once done - It feels GREAT! Schedule some "Me Time." You're no good to yourself or anyone else if you don't take time to breathe and/or reward yourself for all the hard work and study you have invested.

Also Useful

Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis Companion Site 
Study Guides and Strategies: Time Management
Now, if you'll excuse me; I think I have a paper due.




 

4 comments:

EZimmerman said...

I was beginning to worry about you--you've been quiet for the last few days. Now I know why. You were hard at work finding ways to help us get back on track. Thanks for the great reminders of how to implement time management skills and why they are important. My College Success text has been near by for the last month--I've just been focusing on the wrong chapter!

ASison said...

I been trying to manage my time adequately between studies and family responsibilities. But even though how hard I tried my time is not enough to tackle all my everyday undertakings. Probably, you tips in time management may help me on how to lighten my chores just a bit.

Kate Smedley said...

I start a part-time degree in September so these tips will be useful for me... please keep sharing your experiences!

That Dam Kat said...

I'm so glad everybody can use the what I bring to the table. Don't forget to use the links in any of my posts. They have great, extended information, that if I put in my posting, would make it far too long. I hope the snapshots is working well for all of you. This way you can peak at the link before going there. :)

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. May I quote you with attribution? If yes, comment away. Perpetual Andragogy Adventures of an Adult Learner is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Unported License.