Monday, February 15, 2010

Lippershey, Schmippershey

I failed Astronomy. How could a Star Trek fan, Science Fiction fanatic, meteor shower and moon phase follower,  Nasa.gov and Astronomy Picture of the Day addict fail Astronomy?  I learned the hard way that more than fifteen class hours is far too much given my familial responsibilities and other obligations.  As  College textbooks are notorious for changing editions every other year or so, and with some rudimentary Astronomy still lurking about in my head, I promptly signed up to retake the class this semester.

Photo Courtesy of NASA

Of the six Core Adult Learning Principles by Malcolm S. Knowles, number six, Motivation to Learn: intrinsic value and personal payoff, seems most applicable. Knowing that we are all made of stars and my affinity for all things space, is in itself, my intrinsic. Passing this class and passing with a better than average grade, well that, is my personal payoff.

In class, I hang on every word, furiously take notes, refuse to let my mind wander and I refrain from asking too many questions.  It was in this quasi-maniacal state,  during a lecture on Gallileo and the telescope, that I fell of the wagon, so to speak.

"Does anybody know who invented the telescope?" Professor asked the class. "Lippershey?" someone responded. "That's right, in the 1600's." "Wait a minute!" a voice in my head screamed "Didn't I see something on The History Channel about Ancient Astronomers and wasn't there glass making technology in ancient times?" And yes, to my horror, that voice escaped my head and flew right out of my mouth. My poor patient Professor just looked at me and said "Yes, but they would have had to been able to make convex lenses." "I'll look it up." I said sheepishly.

Enter Knowles' Principle one: the Learners Need to Know. Why did I know something different than what was being taught in a college classroom. What is the actual truth? And how will this added, albeit oppositional information, benefit me? That night I came home and did some serious research on ancient astronomy, ancient observatories and glass making techniques.

The information I found was startling. Most notable was an article from The Astronomical Society of New South Whales. An ancient observatory was discovered in Baghdad, circa 600 B.C. More importantly, there was evidence of a Herschellian telescope. The finding of this and other information gives me, the Adult Learner, a sense of control of my learning. According to Knowles, "...individuals want to have control over their learning based on their personal goals... learning will increase as a result" (Knowles, p 123).

So, does all this added information benefit me? I'll let you know after my first "A."

Look What I Found

Use these links to draw your own conclusions. As my Oma always said "God gave you a brain, use it."

"The oldest fragments of glass vases (evidence of the origins of the hollow glass industry), however, date back to the 16th century BC and were found in Mesopotamia"


"One of the most famous ancient lenses is a small piece of shaped rock crystal, thicker in the middle than at the edge, and dating to the seventh century BC."

In his book 'The Crystal Sun', author Robert Temple describes more than 450 lenses and magnifying glasses, dating back as far as 3300 BC, retrieved from archaeological sites from Crete to Turkey to Carthage.

Ten Ancient Observatories Spied from Space

Hans Lippershey Biography

Telescopes and the Ancients by Larry Brian Radka

Be sure to scroll down to "V. Of Experiments in Artificial Sight" in the article Telescopes, Lenses and Other Ancient Technology mentioned by Roger Bacon.
The Babylonian Seal pictured really sold me.


Study Break: We Are All Made of Stars by Moby   Put your headphones on and Dance!

8 comments:

JudyNV said...

Kathleen, you are too funny. Education is an industry that does not (unfortunately?) operate with Aristotle's dialectical pedagogy. Do you want education (that takes a life time) or learning (we can get you certified in four years). It is rare to get both. Learning, below the Ph.D. level, is pretty much based on memorizing the “facts” and recognizing the “correct” answer on a multiple choice or, God forbid, a fill-in-the-blank exam. Answers that cannot be reduced to one or two words are to be avoided by the knowledge imparter. Pick your battles. What you are teaching yourself would make a great essay/paper if that is required in the course. But for answers to multiple choice questions, stick to the book – until you are able to write your own book.

photos for links said...

My first time around in college, I would have been watching MTV - that was back when they actually had music videos :) instead of the History Channel which I don't think was even available.

My experience, in particular life experience, lends me a far different perspective. At this point in my life I WANT to learn more. Before, I would just do what was necessary to get by and get the (good) grade. Then, I would have been horrified to fail a class and would have probably dropped out on the spot. Now, I see it as a learning experience.

As for the texts? Gone are the dry writings I remember. Every text I have had so far (except for standard Literature) is written in a more personal and casual tone. I would LOVE to write a College text! :) Wonder how much they make? I feel another research idea coming on :D

p.s. I've been told before that I was certifiable hahahahahhaha

Kate Smedley said...

A witty and self-effacing write, 15 hours is a lot with everything else to consider, good luck with the retake - and I'm a massive Trekkie too by the way!

msmoffitt said...

Fascinating! I plan to follow the "Blue Link Road" ASAP!

EZimmerman said...

What subject would you write your text on? If it is written anywhere near as well as your posts, please save me an autographed copy and sign me up for the class.

That Dam Kat said...

Thank You EZ, You made my Day! What's that old addage? Write what you know. But, I dunno, what I know just yet! heeeee!

Max Marie, OFS said...

I love it! Well, so much of what we're taught is wrong. Smithsonian Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel would rather make a "sensational" program than an accurate one.

Marconi invented the radio, right? Nope. Nikola Tesla did. But he died in poverty and obscurity because General Electric and Westinghouse could not imagine a world where they weren't making oodles of money. Tesla proposed free power. Those "earth friendly" bulbs we are all buying today are his technology. Now, after allowing this great mind to be trampled they're going to ban Edison's bulbs.

Anonymous said...

I too feel the need to curb my enthusiasm for fear the Professor might hate the interruption, however I also feel that I pay for the privilege to ask questions and I'm damn well gonna ask them!
Some of the people I'm paying to teach me are wonderful and some are just plain nuts. Yeah Dr. butt head Bracy, I said it! You are in control of your education if you refuse to believe arbitrarily whatever crap some of these people are dolling out. Having said that I feel most of the professors I have had are wonderful, and its been an honor...but I'm still gonna ask! Justina :)

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. May I quote you with attribution? If yes, comment away. Perpetual Andragogy Adventures of an Adult Learner is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Unported License.